Monday, September 26, 2011

Bless this food

Hi! I'm still here. Just very, very busy.  My free time has been used for surfing, as the water has been perfect (although tiny surf) and it is what stirs and renews my soul. 
This week has been nothing short of chaotic. 2 birthdays, a very sick kid and not enough time in each day to get it all done.  We sat down together for a home cooked meal maybe twice. I did bake a cake for one of the birthdays. We also BBQ'ed some baby back ribs and chicken last weekend. It was so good! We have figured out the secret to good ribs. Use a rub, (we use Stubb's BBQ Spice Rub. We also use Stubb's Original Recipe BBQ sauce....The best!) then set the ribs on the top shelf of the grill, bone side down, and cook on low with the grill cover down for 45 minutes.  Then flip them and cook for 15 more minutes. Perfect every time.












I got a glass of wine and hit the hammock while it cooked. It was very relaxing....

And then the grill caught on fire. (sigh) The chicken skin got burned but the meat was fine. The ribs were not burned, thank goodness. I peeled the skin off the chicken and used the meat the rest of the week for lunch sandwiches.

Just keeping it real folks. Life is messy sometimes and dinner sometimes gets charred. Blame the wine.

I also made some chicken noodle soup for my sick one! It didn't burn. It was good. Instead of using the slender egg noodles, I broke up lasagna noodles into 1-2 inch pieces. Very satisfying. I could tell you this was planned, an Italian family secret....but actually I was out of egg noodles. Do you hear a theme with me?

The recipe is done by feel. I boiled chicken (this day I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts), and then cubed it and added it back to the water. I then added chicken bouillon granules, carrots and onion. Celery is good too, but I was out. If you have the time, a whole chicken boiled is best.  You get the yummy flavor from the fat and bones that you can't get with bouillon. But I was time crunched again. Cook on medium until carrots are almost done, then add the noodles. An easy, quick meal. I sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese top. Mmm.

I am hoping this week is slower. Football will be down to 3 practice nights a week so we will be able to sit down as a family at least twice during the school week. The weekend will be pure chaos with surf contests and football games, so it may be dinner out.

At least tonight we were all home and nothing got burned. I made soft tacos with ground beef (chicken for me), guacamole and veggies on flour tortillas. Be creative with the veggies.  I chopped up some savoy cabbage today.  Also, cilantro, jalapenos, red pepper and tomato.   I sautéed some chicken tenders and put them in the fridge for easy chicken sandwiches and wraps during the busy week. Multi-tasking. 

This is the best sight in the world to me. My whole family sitting at the table together.  The older the kids get, the more activities they get involved with, and the less I see this.  It pains this mamas heart.  But I take what I can get.  God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for our food. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment