Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sunday Evening pizza night and October fun!

We had a very relaxing Sunday. Lots of lounging around and baking. We sure needed a down day after the last few weeks and Sunday delivered.

Pizza making is going to become a Sunday tradition in our house again. We used to do it all the time! Have no idea why we stopped. With all the craziness around here with kid activities and such,  we had started ordering take out pizza (blek) and there is just no comparison to homemade.

I usually make my own crust (it is VERY easy and so worth it) but I had bought some crusts from the Schwann man a week or so ago and decided to give them a try. Have you heard of the Schwann man? He drives his little yellow van around town selling all kinds of yumminess door to door. I have certain things I buy from him (the ice cream is heavenly) and from time to time he will tell me to try something new and I am always game for that. He swore by the pizza crusts so I bought a pack of two. I love the Schwann man. He always is right.


I made one traditional pepperoni and one veggie. Both were excellent, but the veggie one was over the top good. I used a good jar of pizza sauce (Mama Marys Gourmet from HEB), some fresh mozzarella balls, sun dried tomatoes in oil (these just MADE the pizza....make sure you get them in oil, or make your own by soaking dried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil...mmmm) and thinly sliced mushrooms. It was excellent. The crusts were soooo good. Just like homemade. You put the toppings on while the dough is still frozen, then bake. They came out perfect and were just as good as my homemade crusts. The Scwann man came yesterday evening and I bought 2 more packages of crusts (2 crusts per package) @ $7 per package. Cheaper than ordering out any day!!















For desert we made pumpkin shaped spritz cookies and decorated them.




 I am sooo in the Fall/Halloween mode.  I have deserts planned out for this month and they will be so fun to make.  Every year I have good intentions about making October a family fun month, but daily life always seems to get in the way. I used to do all this with my two oldest when they were young, but somehow adding 2 more to the mix made things busier. Who woulda guessed. ;*) One thing I don't want to do is slack off and miss the blessings of making holidays a blast for the 2 little ones. So this year I have the cookie cutters out, the recipes and ingredients ready and we are enjoying the pleasures of Fall and the fun that Halloween can bring.

More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment