Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gluten-Free Backyard Bourbon Marinade


Today I was going through my utility room cabinets perusing old and not-frequently-used cookbooks. I pulled out "The Jimtown Store Cookbook," which was published 10 years ago. I had purchased the cookbook for its amazing buttermilk pie recipe. However, I retired the book four years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. No more pie, no more cookbook. But today, I found I had retired the book way too soon!

I perused the recipes and was struck with the number of delicious offerings that were either gluten-free or could be easily adapted. The longer I deal with this disease, the more adept I've become at substituting or reworking a wide variety of recipes. To sum it up, I'll be cooking from the "Jimtown" cookbook more often. 

Tonight's menu featured porterhouse steaks, and this marinade is PERFECT for steaks. I don't have a picture (because it's a Coca-Cola colored mixture in a tupperware bowl), but trust me -- it's worth the time to let your steaks linger in this goodness!! Then put them on the grill.  Let steaks rest for about five minutes after you take them off the grill. Then enjoy this "ambrosial" goodness!

First off, here is a link to buy your own Jimtown Store cookbook if you're interested. 

Backyard Bourbon Marinade

Ingredients:
6 cups water
1 cup Maker's Mark Bourbon
1-1/4 cup of gluten-free soy sauce (not reduced sodium)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Kosher salt

Mix all ingredients together in a non-reactive large bowl (I use a large Tupperware mixing bowl with the "burping" lid ). 

Put steaks in marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least three hours. Overnight is even better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment